NL | EN | 中文

Koevoets Advocaten

Work permit

> > > Work permit

Work permit and residence permit for The Netherlands

If you wish to hire a foreign employee (from outside the EU), you need to apply for a work permit (TWV) for him or her. The work permit and the residence permit application can be requested simultaneously.

Restrictions for hiring employees from outside the EU

Please be informed, however, that the requirements for work permits are very strict. These regulations have been installed to protect the Dutch labour market.
Before you are granted the permission to hire a foreign employee, you must be able to prove that you have been searching for a suitable Dutch candidate for at least 3 months.

Exceptions for hiring Chinese chef cooks

Currently, an exception applies for hiring chef cooks for the Asian hospitality industry. The covenant which came into force on 1st of October 2014 makes it easier to hire chef cooks from China, without having to first search for the suitable candidate on the Dutch labour market.

Specialist and managerial staff

Employees with a academic or specialized higher education background are qualified to apply as highly skilled migrants. Staff in (higher) managerial functions also qualify as highly skilled migrants. For hiring highly skilled migrants, there is no need to perform the lengthy recruitment procedure on the Dutch labour market before hiring a highly skilled migrant. Read more about the highly skilled migrant.

Contact us

Or call us via:

Tel: +31 10 425 7800 (English + Dutch)
Tel: +31 10 800 8000 (Chinese)